Facebook Vs Google Statistics

January 25th, 2011 · 12 Comments

To begin 2011 Facebook has a 40% share of the daily web traffic of all internet users worldwide, while Google has 48%, according to Alexa.

Over the years this is how it’s gone:

PERCENTAGE OF EVERYONE ONLINE

Date—–Facebook—–Google—–Delta
1/1/09—–15%————30%——15%

1/1/10——30%————43%——13%

1/1/11——-40%————46%——6%

I don’t know that any other site has ever shown this type of growth in numbers in such a short time.  Especially since the Internet has grown to such a large user base in the past few years.

If I were at Google I’d be worried about the next few years and I’d can my CEO. Oh wait they did that.

Time on Site

The other issue that Goggle has to face with Facebook is the astounding amounts of time that users spend on Facebook as opposed to Google.

MINUTES PER DAY ON SITE

Date—–Facebook—–Google—–Delta
1/1/09——–26————8———18

1/1/10——–34————10——–24

1/1/11——–33————-13——-20

This section appears to be shifting in Google’s favor.  But I believe the main driving force behind this is a GMail, which is why Yahoo dominated the rankings for such a long time after it had generally fallen out of favor.  In real terms with half a billion users spending an average of 30 minutes per day on the site Facebook is now a major factor in many people’s lives.

Tags: Reasons For Net Marketing · Truthful Tuesday

• 1 Tweets that mention Facebook Vs Google Statistics -- Topsy.com // Jan 25, 2011 at 11:25 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chris Kieff and Chris Kieff, Wikibrands. Wikibrands said: Two tribes going to war – Facebook Vs Google Statistics http://goo.gl/fb/Vn0cK New via @ckieff Scary traffic and time spent numbers [...]

• 2 GL // Jan 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm

How can you compare the two?
    People use google to search out websites, and it doesn’t take very long to find what you want and go to it.
    Similarly, Email checking or sending is hardly a time consuming activity.

Importantly, you didn’t count the traffic & time spent for YouTube (owned by google). And there are a considerable number of ads therein.

• 3 Jason Keath // Jan 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Facebook is definitely on an insane growth line. But there is one graph missing, profit.

I don’t see any large profit streams from Facebook that live up to their recent evaluations. I do not think they will become the wallet of the internet and take away some of Paypal’s cash. Their current Zynga and ad money is solid, but not 50 billion solid.

I don’t think Facebook is going to fail or anything, they are a sound company. But they are not raking in the kind of cash that Google is. I think Google has underestimated Facebook’s growth is will note these graphs above, fire their CEO, and get back to the business of competing in this important sector for them.

• 4 Chris Kieff // Jan 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Google has tried about 10 times to enter social media with resounding failures every time. It just doesn’t seem to be in their DNA. I wrote about it here: http://www.1goodreason.com/blog/blog/2010/02/12/google-missing-social-media/

• 5 Kerry Townsend // Feb 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

RE: “Give me 1 Good Reason why you’re not spending more time marketing your business on social media?”

I like to see my family enough so they remember that I’m their Dad.

• 6 Ming Jong Tey // Feb 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I think by now almost everyone we know have a FB account! We can see how popular it is and sure the Big G is getting very worry and concern…

Some breakthrough is required for big G!

• 7 Clay Franklin // Feb 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Good points here and YouTube definably counts in the time on Google sties. Facebook is on the right track and getting better every day. As they get users to use them for search and email it will impact Google, Yahoo and Bing.
    Advertising dollars are where people search for things they want to buy and in the email system they use. People go where their friends are. Location based services need a platform where their buddies will see where they are and what they are up to. Be it Twitter, Facebook or Google Buzz there need to be a platform that is the favorite place to get this information.
    Facebook is growing and will continue to be successful until the day comes when they slip into “old school” place to be like what happened to AOL and My Space.
    Group buying like Groupon and location based services like foursquare will also grow in popularity so in my opinion whoever does the best job of integrating group buying, location services, photo and video sharing and status updates will be the winner in today’s environment moving forward.
    @ClayFranklin

• 8 Chris Kieff // Feb 14, 2011 at 7:29 am

Clay,
    Thank you for the insightful comment. It’s an interesting idea to see if a single site can combine group buying, status updates, and networking. I think in any case we are in for a few interesting years while it all shakes out.

• 9 La comunicación dirigida « Comunicación y poder en Facebook // Mar 20, 2011 at 11:52 pm

[...] estúpid@s, pero teniendo en cuenta que Facebook se está acercando a Google en cuanto a tráfico y supera el tiempo de permanencia, cabe extender la [...]

• 10 Glen Evans // Apr 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is the big difference between marketing and advertising. Facebook and Google provide opportunities to be seen if you buy their ads. However, Google is the place people go to solve problems or find a location. In my humble opinion its apples and oranges. Thanks for interesting reading.

• 11 Krazy Blogger // Aug 5, 2012 at 1:54 am

Shouldn’t the last paragraph contain Facebook instead of Google
    “This section appears to be shifting in Google’s favor”
    Where as the stats say people spend more time on facebook than Google I think you made a mistake.

• 12 Chris Kieff // Aug 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

The difference between the two was narrowing from 24% to 20%. So at the time it appeared to be shifting in Google’s favor.