Of Different Minds

November 9th, 2010 · 6 Comments

BLUF:  (Bottom Line Up Front) Are you targeting both audible and visual learners in your online marketing?)

Last week I complained about the style of presentation that Radian6 uses in many presentations I’ve seen them give.  It’s not the presentations aren’t beautiful, because they are.  It’s not because they aren’t information packed, because they are filled with great information.  It’s that they use images and a just a few words.

Now using just a few words on your slides can be powerful.  It’s evocative, emotional and stunningly beautiful in a presentation.  However, it requires your audience be able to learn from your voice only.  And educators have learned that many people are not auditory learners, instead they are visual learners.  Here’s an excellent article that discusses the three main types of learning and it can help you determine what type of learner you are.

Why am I talking about learning on a marketing blog?  Because as marketers we have a strong tendency to play to our strengths.  And it’s clear that Radian6 finds their strength in visual information.  However they are losing a portion of their audience  when they do that.

More importantly, are you making the same mistake on your website and in your marketing materials? Are you failing to deliver your message in both a visual and textual way?  For many of us, we rely too much on text to deliver our messages.  I do to much of that myself, relying on this blog and the text too much.  I’m going to take this as my cue to work harder to include visuals to help deliver my message.

NOTE: This is not the presentation I saw last week.  It is another presentation from Radian6 but very similar in nature.

Give me 1 Good Reason why you shouldn’t target both audible and visual learners?

Related Reasons:

1. Seeking ROI from Conference Presenters

Tags: Truthful Tuesday

• 1 Tweets that mention Of Different Minds -- Topsy.com // Nov 9, 2010 at 5:13 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chris Kieff, Liveinsights. Liveinsights said: RT @ckieff: Of Different Minds http://fb.me/B5GuYU1K [...]

• 2 Leora Wenger // Nov 9, 2010 at 7:53 am

Good point – we tend to play to our strengths. A good marketing team would have people that can do text, visuals, audio, video.

The end of the learning article talks about “The Kinesthetic Learner” – now that would be a great challenge for a marketing team. Perhaps an online game? Or would a poll be a good approach?

• 3 Nancy Passow // Nov 9, 2010 at 10:32 am

You make a good point of thinking about this when designing a website or other marketing materials. I think that’s one of the reasons to keep your website short and simple — but provide links for those who want to go into greater depth. The presentation you showed has beautiful and fun photos — but I agree that a little more text would be good. I’d probably get distracted looking at the photos and not hear everything that is being said.

I briefly covered the three types of learners in my Technical Communications class when we discussed “Listening”. And I can see that in my class, I have a variety of learners, which is why I talk, have PowerPoint slides, and make them write.

• 4 Kimmo Linkama // Nov 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

You lost me there, Chris—first you’re talking about visual vs. audible, then text vs. visual.

The point became clear, however. Expand your ways of presentation.

If I may add a piece of advice to all aspiring video producers from the “receiving end”, it will be this: Talking heads are BORING. Okay, showing just your face talking will of course let people put together voice and face, but it doesn’t add anything to the message.

• 5 Chris Kieff // Nov 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

Kimmo,
    Thanks for visiting and commenting. You’re right I made a little shift there in the post. I need to hire an editor. You’re absolutely on target with the conclusion, don’t cater to only one kind of learner/customer.
    Thanks,

• 6 Natalie Regoli // Nov 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great slideshow. I think in 2012 Facebook and Twitter will have advanced analytics that will make it easier to wade through the forest.