Do You YouTube?

November 8th, 2010 · 19 Comments

This is a guest post by Pat Ferdinandi

I’m not talking about watching…I’m talking about placing videos of you, your product/service, or company on your own YouTube channel.  I’m talking about creating videos and linking to them through your Tweets, Facebook news, LinkedIn status, Slideshare, eZine to customers, as well as your Blog.

Videos are the most viral mechanism to get your message out today…and it’s FREE!  It has been estimated that videos increase sales by as much as 30%…and it’s FREE! Yet, YouTube is the most underutilized marketing and sales tool available today. Why not jump on the band wagon and try it out. After all, it’s FREE!

Heck, if a sulfur-crested cockatoo can dance his way to over 4 million views in just 3 years, why can’t a 3-5 minute video work for you? Because of Snowball’s video, he has been on several TV shows, part of 3 scientific papers on how the brain works, a Taco Commercial, has related t-shirts, mugs, and other products that have been increasing in sales for charity since the video of him dancing to the Back Street Boys aired 3 years ago.  Donations to the BirdLoversOnly 501c started coming in like water. Again I ask…why wouldn’t a video work for you?

I’m not suggesting you dress in a parrot costume and dance on your video. I’m suggesting you incorporate video into your social marketing strategy. Remember…it’s FREE! Create a video with:

• customer testimonials
  • product demonstrations
  • resume of what you do best
  • a valuable tip for your customers
  • a customer survey
  • anything you can do in print, you can add more emotional appeal with video

Just keep in mind these few success tips:

1.    Keep it simple and short (3-5 minutes).

2.    Talk about the value to the viewer…not you.

3.    Introductions are optional but keep it less than 10 seconds.

4.    Look and smile at the camera.

5.    What’s in the background (stay away from calendars and anything that distracts from your message).

6.    How’s the lighting (beware of the scary Halloween look or being too washed out).

7.    How’s the sound (use an additional digital recorder or mic).

8.    Prepare, prepare, prepare (know what you want to say and when).

9.    Practice, practice, practice (the more you do, the better you will be).

10.  Always have your hand-held video devices with you (Flip, Kodak, iPhone, Sony, Cannon Powershot) …you never know when an opportunity to record will arise.

Give video a try … After all, it’s FREE!

Pat Ferdinandi, ThoughtTranslator, helps individuals, teams, and companies prepare for making videos that spread. She can be reached via mailto:TalkToUs@TestimonialCoach.com.

Related Reasons:

1. CBS News Writes about their YouTube Video Story!?!

Tags: Guest Posts · Marketing Monday

• 1 Becky Cortino // Nov 8, 2010 at 8:19 am

Great points, Chris. iPods can turn out some pretty impressive quick vids on the fly, too. I’ve done short interviews with notables at conferences, with good quality.

• 2 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 8, 2010 at 9:03 am

Thank you Becky. I agree. the iPad is one of the reason video testimonials will have a real growth spurt. Now, people need to learn how to tell a 3 minute story that spreads.

• 3 C. Felisbret // Nov 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

I agree with your position. This is a fast growing and easy way to get your message out. I like the way you list out the pointers for newbies like me. LOL

• 4 Donna // Nov 8, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hi Pat – are you using a separate microphone or the built in on the video camera? if separate, what are you using?

• 5 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Don’t let C. Felisbret fool ya. is a great speaker! Now…just to get a video of C. Felisbret in action.

• 6 Deborah // Nov 8, 2010 at 10:46 am

Love the post! A lot of good information,I will absolutely use. Always looking for more good marketing tools. Thanks!

• 7 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 8, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hi Donna,
    Depends. I do use a stereo mic that attaches to my Kodak xi8. The reason why I purchased the kodak over the flip is for that reason. If I’m more than a couple of feet away, I use a separate audio recorder and attach a lapel mic to my shirt. It is easy to link the audio with video in editing software Camtasia.

• 8 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 8, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hey Deborah…glad you enjoyed the article and more importantly…received some useful advice. My goal is always to be a supplier of reader perceived value.

• 9 Peter // Nov 8, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for the helpful post. 4,000,000 views – wow!?!? Armed with your step-by-step guide, I now know what to do to reach cockatoo success!

• 10 Tom Graves // Nov 9, 2010 at 8:19 am

Hi Pat – Many thanks for the helpful advice and the additional details in the comments.

The hard part for me has been to get a meaningful story in much under 20 minutes… Somehow I need to aim for the advertiser’s standard of 30-60 seconds, but I don’t know how to slice-and-dice ideas to convey much in that time beyond an empty sound-bite. :-( Any suggestions?

• 11 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Hi Tom,
    No reason why you need just one video. Think about creating 5 or even 10 video’s you can create…each 3-5 mins long. This way you don’t just have one video…but a series…which makes an entire YouTube channel.

Remember to have only 1 point per video…that’s all anyone can handle. And please, include some of the wonderful scenery as in your background picture.

Thanks for a great question!

• 12 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Hey Peter…and you don’t even have to dress up as a cockatoo! You can do it…more than once. Creating multiple videos starts with making ONE! And then…squawkin’ about it.

• 13 Tommy Hilcken // Nov 10, 2010 at 5:29 am

Love the prepare, prepare, prepare – practice, practice, practice…great post…thanks for the insight.

• 14 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 10, 2010 at 8:07 am

Thank you Tommy for your comment. Much appreciated.

• 15 Susan Pirog // Nov 12, 2010 at 11:10 am

Pat – Thanks for your tips on using video to get the word out on your product or services. We are just starting to use video more on our corporate website so your success tips are very timely.

• 16 Karen // Nov 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Video is the way to go. This has been a great help. As always, your work is professional and right on target.

• 17 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 17, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Susan. Glad our tips helped!

• 18 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

That is nice of you to say Karen. We hope to keep on providing great tips that help YOU to succeed.

• 19 Pat Ferdinandi // Nov 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Tommy. Yes…practice practice practice gets you the video you want. Thanks for your comment.