The SECRET to Social Media REVEALED!

October 12th, 2010 · 11 Comments

Naughty Secrets IMG_0781

I could have titled this post: How to Alienate your Customers Volume 4.

Last week I got an email note via  LinkedIn from (name withheld).  Here’s how it started:

My LinkedIn Friend,

Please excuse this interruption into your busy day, but I have some ideas you may find useful.

It’s never a good idea to start your form letter with “Dear LinkedIn Friend” or Facebook Friend, or Twitter Friend. You might as well start off with “Dear Person I don’t know”  I’m hesitant to write this note because I don’t want to give better ideas to spammers and scammers and charlatans, but it’s got to be said.

The next real kicker for the letter was the link which was for a “copy-writing-secrets” report.

The secret to S0cial Media  Marketing is:
There IS NO SECRET!

If you don’t know this already, it seems that the word “secret” is the be all end all for scammers and hucksters.  If anyone anywhere promises to sell you the Secrets to Weight Loss, or Secrets to A Better Sex Life, or the secrets to anything- RUN FORREST… RUN!

Social Media is like everything else in life.  When you are talking you are not listening.  So you can’t learn about the other person and grow to know more about them.  In business, learning more about your customer means being able to fulfill their needs better, which is good for your business.

If your social media expert recommends a spam letter writing campaign on LinkedIn, Facebook or to a bunch of bloggers- FIND ANOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERT.  Especially one that doesn’t use the word “secret”.

If your social media expert recommends that you look at the websites for bloggers, and other targets in your campaign, then listen and do what she says.  Because that means you’ve found someone who has actually done some social media before.  Not just another out of work (M)adman with out of date ideas on how to shout interruptions at your prospects.

Tags: Reasons For Net Marketing

• 1 Gil Carlson // Oct 12, 2010 at 7:33 am

I, confess, I’m the one who sent this message to Chris, and Chris is right – nothing beats personalization, but when it isn’t practical, it’s better to use a corny salutation than nothing at all.

Here’s the rest of the message I sent to Chris:

I have spent years creating powerful marketing that gets results and this is no exception!

I have a website stuffed full information for you on website marketing, such as: Using the most powerful words possible in your copy; Writing headlines that grab attention and orders; Using the right colors on your website that will turn on that prospective buyer; How to add believability to your product descriptions and more!

You may want to check out my page on “How to add excitement to your website” first and then you can go to the other pages on the site to find more powerful info.

Just follow this link below and have a good day.

Gil Carlson

[website link removed]

• 2 Chris Kieff // Oct 12, 2010 at 8:24 am

And so… Gil’s answer to the don’t spam people is to spam my blog with a… FORMLETTER. He can’t even take the time to write a response. I’ve removed the link to his site to kill any Google SEO benefit he may get from it. I almost never edit comments- this is I think the third one that I’ve posted edited in all of these years.
    The most galling thing is that Gil can’t even take the time to write a true comment. He just copies and pastes and figures everyone will think that crap is just fine. Welcome to the new age of the internet Gil Carlson Spammer you’ve got a lot to learn about the new age of communications.
    BACKSTORY: I wrote to Gil yesterday and told him that I was thinking of naming him and putting a link to him in my blog post. In that letter I invited Gil to comment on my blog post and that I would post his comment.
    I told Gil that I had asked several other bloggers about this issue and many replied that I shouldn’t name him. It wasn’t good karma, and it wasn’t polite. Perhaps Gil just needs a little more education to better understand social media, etc. You can read what bloggers such as David Armano and Peter Shankman said in that Facebook Group last Friday.
    Sigh, sometimes the Eagle wins and sometimes the Rat wins…

• 3 Liz // Oct 12, 2010 at 8:55 am

Well, at least he “outed” himself so you don’t have to!

• 4 todd // Oct 12, 2010 at 9:03 am

Wow, and FYI Chris, his username is hyperlinked to his spam site on his comment.

I know there are huge communities of people on the internet who espouse the kind of techniques Gil is using here. The sad part is, many of them are good people who just don’t understand real, long term relationships.

Anyway, glad you called him out, Incredible that he came back for more and made himself look even more pathetic.

here’s to quality and value!

• 5 Chris Kieff // Oct 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

Yes I know his user name is linked to his site. I’m not going to kill myself. It’s a no-follow link so I don’t care. I made the link in my comment calling him a spammer a Follow link for Google track.

• 6 Nancy Passow // Oct 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Chris, it is sad that Gil just doesn’t get it. What’s even worse is that I got a request for an endorsement from someone I met through LinkedIn — never met her in person or did any work with her. So what is it I’m supposed to endorse?

• 7 Chris Kieff // Oct 12, 2010 at 11:39 am

Nancy,
    In that case I think it’s a polite but firm, Thank you but no thank you.

• 8 Michael Cohn // Oct 12, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Chris,
    Why didn’t you just block and report the guy instead of wasting time trying to educate him?

Mike

• 9 Chris Kieff // Oct 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Mike,
    Follow the link to the Facebook conversation in my comment above. You’ll see where I discussed it with several other bloggers and the consensus was to educate not punish. So I took the high road and then learned it wouldn’t work with this guy.

• 10 Kathleen Donohue // Oct 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

This guy really misses the boat. Scary when you think some people (one out of a hundred?) think this is a valid marketing strategy.

Thanks for an entertaining and informative column… the hallmark of QUALITY content!

• 11 Chris Kieff // Oct 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Kathleen,
    Thank you very much for the compliment. I have to tell you that it caused me to pause, because there is so much comment spam on blogs today. Your comment sounds like some of the spam I delete every day from the blog. I realized it wasn’t spam when I noticed there’s no link in it. It’s a shame when a sincere compliment sounds like spam anymore. I appreciate your comment and hope you’ll keep reading.