GET YOUR FREE $1000 IKEA GIFT CARD!
All you have to do is, the following 3 things: (taken from the IKEA Facebook page)
1. Become a friend of IKEA on Facebook. (Ok, I’m not a big fan of businesses I don’t know well, and my one experience at IKEA is recalled as a never ending walk through an endless land of cardboard furniture that all looked the same. Sort of like “It’s a small world” at Disney World except at IKEA all of the kids were crying.)
2. “Invite all your friends. IMPORTANT: If you do not invite ALL of your friends you may not be eligible. There’s an easy way to quickly invite all your friends, ” This was copied verbatim from the IKEA Facebook Page.
a. In other words we want you to SPAM ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS FOR US! Perhaps social conventions are different in Scandinavia but most people don’t like to send spam, or receive it.
b. Also I think that the beginning of the contest where they say that the first 10,000 people will each receive $1000 (Jeeze that’s a lot of money!) and now they say you become eligible could be considered a bait and switch tactic.
c. I also think this contest violates a whole bunch of laws. Many states require that there be an alternate way to enter a contest and requiring that you be on Facebook to enter the contest may be violation of these laws. I’m not a lawyer so don’t sue me on this.
d. I guess they didn’t read the story of Burger King’s unfriend your friends where they were forced to kill the program.
3. Claim your $1000 by clicking the Claim Here button
a. When I did this, without notifying my friends, I got a blank page. It’s perhaps a virus insertion scam, in which case I sure hope my anti-virus is up to date. Or something went wrong. It could be that the program is simply choking on my 2,000+ friends. I’ve seen that happen with Facebook several times before.
Here are the instructions IKEA has for their Facebook friends:
Follow these instructions carefully…..
1. After reading all instructions, click the wall tab at the top of the page.
2. Just below the Profile Picture you’ll see ‘Suggest Friends’, click that link.
3. If you’re using FireFox, Chrome or Safari as your Browser
Just copy this code:
And paste it in your browsers address bar and hit enter on your keyboard.
If you’re using Internet Explorer click on all your friends manually.
5. Finally, click "Send Invitations" after all your friends are highlighted.
c. Thanks IKEA for telling thousands more people exactly how to send spam messages to everyone they are friends with on Facebook.
d. Hey, IKEA I know that you are furniture people and all, but did you know that approximately 70% of all of the people on the internet use Internet Explorer?
e. OH, and BTW Internet Explorer is looking even more lame, I’m sure Microsoft is going to be happy with you on this one.
This is simply a stupid way to try to market. The people who send these things to their friends will lose friends because of it. They will then grow resentful of IKEA for being used as a stupid pawn. The people who receive these stupid messages will resent IKEA for it. IKEA will gain a short bit of PR (public relations not press, unless this goes horribly wrong- wait for it.) but the overall long term effect will most likely be very poor. Did I mention that it’s likely to build resentment? If not, I think you should consider that it’s likely to build resentment. (I’m feeling a little resentful myself.)
All in all this is another ham-handed blind thrashing about in the dark uninspired foolish let me use you and abuse you social marketing scheme cooked up by people who simply don’t understand relationship marketing. I don’t know if this is the work of the new Ogilvy & Mather team or the old Deutsch team because IKEA changed agencies this month according to the New York Times. But I can’t imagine a better reason for IKEA to find a newer new agency.
I’m breathlessly awaiting the rolling in of the invitations from all of my Facebook buddies. Who will be the first? Oops it’s too late, someone already did it…
Give me 1 Good Reason we shouldn’t deport the idiots who thought up this stupid idea?