1 Good Reason against Facebook Chat- Spam

April 19th, 2008 · 6 Comments

1 Good Reason the world doesn’t need Facebook Chat:

My First Facebook Chat Was Spam!

Below is the complete text of my first Facebook Chat Session using the just released Facebook Chat Feature. Let me set the stage for you:

A lazy Saturday morning, nearing 11AM I’m poking around on the net and happen to have Facebook open. I’m surprised to receive my first chat request from someone named Nay. I have 645 Facebook Friends, not a huge number but enough to make them not all known to me. You can only chat with people you are friends with. So obviously Nay and I are friends but unfortunately that’s about all I know about Nay. Until that is, I receive the following message:

Nay

hi
how are you?

10:53am Chris

hi, i’m fine

10:54am Nay

that’s good
please visit www.freerohingyacampaign.org

10:55am Chris

so you’re just chatting me to pump your cause? In other words- SPAM?

10:56am Chris

you there?

10:56am Nay

oh! really sorry

10:57am Chris

you should be.

10:57am Nay

i doesn’t mean that i am pumping you

10:59am Nay

anyway, sorry again for bothering you

take care , bye
have a good day

Now it does appear that Facebook is taking precautions, I think.  You can’t use separate Instant Messaging software with the system.  And it is closed to all of the FB applications, but there is no indication if that’s permanent.  On the other hand it could just be that they are releasing features gradually because you can’t chat with more than one person in a single conversation.  So to have a 3-way chat you have to play monkey in the middle.  And you can’t block any of your friends from sending you a chat- although they say they are working on this feature.  And you can’t review older chats after you close the window- so if you want a record of a FB chat you need to save it immediately.

I guess my question is does the world need yet another online chat application? I don’t think so. (that’s another blog coming soon) Tell me what you think…

Tanks for reading,

Related posts:

1. Screensaver tackles spam websites

Tags: Dear Mr. Reasonable · Reasonable Social Networking · Reasons For Net Marketing

• 1 mike ashworth // Apr 19, 2008 at 11:37 am

Hi Chris, Interesting post about first chat being spam.

What I’d be interested in learning is will you be removing this person from your friend list as they spammed you and if you were to leave them on your list what reasons would you give?

Mike Ashworth
    Business and Marketing Consultant
    Brighton and Hove, Sussex, UK

• 2 Chris // Apr 20, 2008 at 10:04 am

Mike,
    An excellent question!
    No I didn’t remove Nay from my friends list. First because I think Nay learned the lesson. And second because I agree with the fight for freedom from communism and oppression.
    If Nay had been selling something- almost anything I would certainly have dropped and blocked them after this. However, since it appears to be simply over-zealous support of a worthy cause, I’m willing to forgive this breach of netiquette.
    Thanks,

• 3 mike ashworth // Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Shame they didn’t hang around after apologising and try and engage in a conversation with you.

I would have been engaged if they were to tell me more about this campaign rather than just the URL.

I’m fascinated by behaviour on these sites so thankyou for your explanation.

On perhaps a more serious note are you aware that hotmail is routing your blog comment follow-up emails to the junk mail folder :-(

Mike Ashworth

• 4 Chris // Apr 21, 2008 at 8:06 am

Mike,

I did try to engage in further discussion but they had signed off. I guess it just shows the lack of thought they had in trying to carry out the social networking effort.

Thanks for the tip on my emails. I’ll see what I can do about improving my email reputation.

Thanks,

• 5 Goodness Gracious, Great Blogs of Fire! » The Buzz Bin // Apr 22, 2008 at 8:35 am

[...] Good Reason’s Chris Kieff dishes about his brush with spam on Facebook chat. Apparently, his first chat on the new social networking application came from a friend who [...]

• 6 Paul // Mar 27, 2009 at 10:17 am

An interesting note about spam chat – sorry to be blunt but doesn’t the (self admitted fact) that you have people on your friends list that you don’t really know / don’t really know you, indicate that you have allowed yourself to be engaged in this kind of spam due to potentially lax use of the friends feature? I am sure that a properly vetted friends list of actual people that you know would reduce the risk of you getting spam chat – therefore the problem is not with the chat system itself but with the fact that you have people on your friends list willing to spam you – which by your own admission is since you do not really know them / they don’t know you? Just a thought before blaming the technology :)