The Killer App: Social Networking Meets Distance Learning

February 28th, 2008 · 8 Comments

MyngleIn the interest of full disclosure I have a new client named Myngle (fabulous name!), so my views here are not entirely platonic. However, one of the main reasons I took on Myngle is that they have created what I think is probably one of the all time Killer Apps for the web.

Skype + Social Networking + Learning a Language = One Killer App

Let me digress a little first, I see the internet as a communications tool. The Net is at it’s best as a facilitator of communications, it’s next best service is info storage and retrieval. This is reflected in the top 10 sites on the net today:

Rank Web Site Info
1   yahoo.com Info Icon
2   youtube.com Info Icon
3   live.com Info Icon
4   google.com Info Icon
5   msn.com Info Icon
6   myspace.com Info Icon
7   facebook.com Info Icon
8   hi5.com Info Icon
9   wikipedia.org Info Icon
10   orkut.com Info Icon
Source: Alexa.com

Each of these is involved in either storage of information or communications. Yahoo is #1 solely because of it’s email service (communications), and has been for a long time.

Myngle Imge

So Myngle has created what I predict will be a Killer App- Bringing people together around the world to Teach Each Other Languages! Duh! I sure wish I had thought of it.

You use Skype to make free international phone calls, and Myngle connects you with a native speaker of the language of your choice. This is in my opinion one of the best ideas to come along in quite a while. Forget about tapes, CD’s and books, speak to your own private tutor who is in the country where they speak the language every day! Learn current usage and slang words, and everything you need to use it when you need it.

Myngle is the perfect mash-up of Net technology and real world need. You socially network with your tutor in Kathmandu while you learn Nepali. And you are paying your tutor, who for those of us in wealthy countries, allows us to assuage a little of our guilt and spread the wealth a little bit. I can’t imagine a better match of technology and real world needs melding with Social Media.

What do you think of Myngle?

Related Reasons:

1. Where is Erin Esurance? Or How NOT to Run a Social Networking Campaign
  2. Social Networking goes Offline!
  3. The Kerfufle Over Who Owns Social Media
  4. Social Media is like coffee and electricity
  5. The Low Hanging Fruit- How to Get Started in Social Media

Tags: Reasonable Social Networking · Reasons For Net Marketing

• 1 Chris Brogan... // Feb 28, 2008 at 1:02 pm

So, it’s not the tech but the application of the tech that you’re appreciating here, right?

• 2 Chris // Feb 28, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Chris B,

Yes it doesn’t need to be new technology to elegant- how about YouTube? Nothing new there, but a great convergence of technologies with a clear need.

• 3 C.B. Whittemore // Feb 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Chris, this is a really intriguing application! I love how it bridges social networking with web 2.0 tools to deliver a distinct benefit: language.

Neat to consider additional benefits. Conversation to learn language means talking about topics of relevance. If you\’re planning a trip, you get to talk about what to explore, and possibly even start developing a network of friends to explore with once you reach your destination. Very nifty! Thanks for getting the word out.

Would it work with oovoo, too?

• 4 Chris // Feb 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm

CB,

I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work with ooVoo. I’ll contact the company and see what they say.

Perhaps this is a good application for ooVoo that I hadn’t considered from my earlier post.

Thanks,

• 5 Dan Keldsen // Feb 28, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Wow – that’s an interesting mashup of capabilities. Hmm, Rosetta Stone might be getting a return package from me real soon… Although I have to say Skype can be tough on the ears even when talking to someone in your NATIVE language.

• 6 Chris Kieff // Feb 29, 2008 at 7:34 am

• 7 Wendy Piersall // Feb 29, 2008 at 9:09 am

Interesting idea – the kind of thing that hopefully has a great interface to make it extremely user-friendly for a wide range of nationalities.

I see prices are in Euros. I think they should have a separate site with Dollars, or make that easy to find, because I have to say that we Americans don’t like to mess with exchange rates. Our Dollar is doing so bad right now we don’t like to think about it. ;)

• 8 Scott Monty // Apr 2, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Chris, I do some marketing work for ooVoo and this is just the type of creative thinking they like to see around their technology. It’s only as limited as our imaginations.

I think video chat is extremely helpful here, as you can pick up on facial cues when communicating. Similarly, anyone wishing to learn sign language would do really well with ooVoo.