1 Good Reason - Internet Marketing

All About Internet Marketing and stuff like that

1 Good Reason - Internet Marketing header image 2

Main Streaming Social Media

October 17th, 2008 · 10 Comments

Friend Request Accepted

Perhaps I’m the last person in New York to see this, or notice it but I snapped this picture on the E train this morning on the way to work.

A sign that social media is moving into the main stream?

Now Valley Wag complained  about this last month saying that New Yorkers will hate them.  I can’t speak for all NY’ers, or for any actually because I’m a commuter not a resident.  But I don’t think it’s half bad.

What I do think is noteworthy is that Dentyne feels that social media terms like “friend request accepted” are main stream enough to use them as the key to their ads.

There are others:

Send and Receive

The original instant message

I think this a sign that social media is moving into the mainstream of the social conscienceness.   And as a social media practicioner I find that encouraging.

What do you think?

Tags: Reasonable Social Networking

• 1 Ari Herzog // Oct 17, 2008 at 9:42 am

Do the packs of Dentyne gum that can be bought at a store have an imprinted website or social media address? That would be a sign, as a quick check of a nearby pack of Orbit gum lacks any online bit.

I’m curious about the send & receive picture; will someone from Cadbury Adams write a response to this article of yours, Chris, because you’re sending a message about Dentyne?

• 2 Chris Kieff // Oct 17, 2008 at 9:45 am

Ari,

It was wonderful meeting you in person this week. Thanks for the comment- a quick check of the office shows no one has any Dentyne so who’s to say?

• 3 Rob Blatt // Oct 17, 2008 at 9:59 am

They are marketing to a specific kind of person, and managing to do so quite brilliantly in my opinion. I think all of those ads are clever, and I notice them.

The company is doing a good job finding the kind of people they want to give their message to because it FEELS like an inside joke, but everyone who doesn’t get it wont care. It’s a very targeted message, and I think it’s great.

• 4 Chris Kieff // Oct 17, 2008 at 10:01 am

Rob,
    I think you’re right about the target. And the funny thing is its targeted to young people.
    But Dentyne was first marketed to older people as a gum for denture wearers. Quite a switch.

• 5 Tape // Oct 17, 2008 at 10:04 am

We have these in Boston as well. I think they’re semi-brilliant. Not quite totally brilliant, but getting there. I’d probably think they were more brilliant if there less blatant making out in the ads.

• 6 Chris Kieff // Oct 17, 2008 at 10:06 am

Tape,

Interesting observation. I’d not considered that. Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

• 7 Walt Ribeiro // Oct 17, 2008 at 10:30 am

Its on both ends. not only is Social Media making its way into the mainstream, but also Mainstream is now making its way into social media. This is the first year the Olympics have been streamed online, and now CNN and presidential candidates are using sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc. Great article, enjoyed it!

• 8 Chris Kieff // Oct 17, 2008 at 10:32 am

Walt,
    Yes you’re absolutely right it’s both ways, but SM has further to go into MS rather than the other way around.

• 9 Ariane // Oct 17, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Well, I’m no young-un, but I like the sexy edge to these ads. Feels yummy in a not-so-scummy way.

And I love the inroads that the Social Media highway is making into our collective consciousness… even if it is only a small corner of it.

• 10 Cindy // Oct 18, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I think they are brilliant for precisely the reasons stated above. They are clearly trying to tap into a younger audience by targeting social media and relating to what those “young kids” are into and I think it’s great. It actually makes a lot of sense. With gum brands like Stride (with their “The Ridiculously Long Lasting Gum®” message) and Wrigley’s Orbit (with their dirty mouth campaigns), I guess the old “won’t stick to your dentures” just wasn’t cutting it anymore.

On a separate note, this blog posting prompted me to visit the dentyne site, and they are really blowing this message out of the water. View all the print and tv ads, download ads as desktop wallpaper and even send your co-workers a friend request to meet up soon. Quite interesting!